Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Silly Baby Recalls!

It is my personal opinion that most recalls on baby products are quite silly, and how they go about fixing the recalls is even sillier. For example, there have been a few suffocations due to drop down rails on cribs, which (from what I can tell) were all caused because the parents did not assemble the bed correctly. I personally own a drop down sided crib, and though I never really use the drop down function, it seems to be virtually impossible to suffocate or have the issues with it that are being claimed unless it was not assembled correctly. I have heard rumor that they are trying to now outlaw drop down cribs as a result of this mess. Secondly, when they do a recall they tell you to "put your child in a safe place" until you get the new parts to turn the crib into a non drop side crib. I'm sorry, but if my child has slept in this crib for two years with no issue and the previous owner for five years, why all of a sudden is my child in imminent danger waiting for the parts to arrive in the mail?? Exactly! I have a few friends that have had similar issues and they worry and put their children in a pack and play or whatever while the await the parts, but I'm thinking with all of the stuff they are going to do, in ten years all current cribs will be on the no-no recall list for one thing or another. Babies in the near future will need to go to bed with a helmet on, strapped to the bed so they can't move, and all for the cause of "saftey". Yes, I think we are taking this all to the extreme and I know it's unfortunate that some children have died from different things, but we will all die someday and we need to LIVE and stop worrying about every little detail. If you heard some of the stories my husband told about life on the farm when he was a child you would see it's a miracle that he's even alive. This is when they didn't use car seats in cars, let alone seat belts, children at age 10 drove tractors and heavy farm equipment, and bouncers were routinely placed in precarious positions on tables...he turned out fine, has a few battle wounds to show for it and some stories, but the moral of the story is that although it is fine to be cautious we shouldn't go overboard with it!

0 comments:

 

Babies in Bunnyland | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL